MARSOC Operator Charged With Allegedly Punching His Girlfriend ‘Multiple Times’

Staff Sgt. Daniel Christopher Evans was arrested on Jan. 29, 2018. (Photo courtesy of Wilmington Police Department, North Carolina.)

A special operations Marine is due in court on March 7 after being arrested last year for allegedly assaulting his girlfriend.

Staff Sgt. Daniel Christopher Evans was arrested and charged with assault inflicting serious injury on July 29, 2018, according to Jennifer Dandron, a spokeswoman for police in Wilmington, North Carolina. Evans is currently assigned as a Critical Skills Operator with the 2nd Marine Raider Battalion at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, according to the Marine Corps Personnel Locator.

Wilmington Police took Evans into custody after responding to domestic assault, according to the police report, which was provided to Task & Purpose.

“Upon arrival, the victim was located with several injuries,” the report said. “She explained to officers on scene that Evans had punched her multiple times after asking him to leave the residence. Evans was arrested and charged with Assault Inflicting Serious Injury and was given no bond until his first appearance in court.”

Evans spent one day in jail and was released on Jan. 30, 2018 after posting $5,000 secured bail, according to the New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office.

Police confirmed the alleged victim was Kimberly Rhine, who recently posted on Facebook that she had asked Evans to leave after claiming that she found he had been unfaithful during his seven-month deployment.

“My BF then punched me in the face completely knocking me off my feet,” Rhine posted. “My 6’3, 230+ LB. MARSOC operator boyfriend … split open my face.”

Now prosecutors are trying to strike a plea deal with Evans because this is allegedly his first offense, Rhine wrote. Sam Dooies, an assistant to the New Hanover County District Attorney, declined to comment on the status of the case.

MARSOC issued a statement on Friday confirming that a member of the 2nd Marine Raider Battalion is “accused of several crimes related to an alleged altercation in July 2018” without naming Evans.

Another Navy SEAL Due in Court on War Crimes Case

Chief Special Warfare Operator Edward R. Gallagher (Photo: Wiki)

U.S. Navy SEAL Lt. Jacob “Jake” Portier will be arraigned Tuesday in San Diego for allegedly failing to report war crimes committed by a fellow SEAL Edward Gallagher and other related offenses.

Portier is the second Navy SEAL to be charged in connection with the death of a wounded ISIS fighter in 2017 during the battle of Mosul. Chief Edward Gallagher is accused of killing the young man with a knife and then holding a reenlistment ceremony next to the fighter’s corpse.

The Navy SEAL officer is charged with dereliction of duty for allegedly failing to prevent Gallagher from wounding two non-combatants with a sniper rifle; failure to obey a lawful general order for not reporting an alleged war crime; obstruction of justice for allegedly destroying evidence; making false official statements for allegedly lying to his superior officers about Gallagher; and conduct unbecoming an officer for allegedly telling enlisted service members to pose for pictures with a human corpse.

Portier had also been accused of lying to cover up the death of the ISIS fighter, but a specification of misprision of a serious offense against him was dismissed.

At his Article 32 hearing in November, Portier’s attorney Jeremiah Sullivan argued that his client did in fact tell his chain of command what he knew about the allegations against Gallagher.

Sullivan told Task & Purpose that Portier is “a highly decorated combat veteran who served our country on the battlefield,” whom Sullivan looked forward to representing at trial.

Read the whole charge sheet here:

ISIS Kills 4 Americans In Manbij, Syria

car bomb in egypt killed prosecutor
Illustration (Photo: Wiki)

An ISIS suicide bomber killed four Americans in Manbij, Syria, on Wednesday. The terror group claimed responsibility for the attack through its Amaq news agency, which it said was done by a suicide bomber wearing an explosive vest. Initial reports said more than a dozen people were killed in the blast.

Two American service members, one DoD civilian, and one DoD contractor were killed in the blast, according to U.S. Central Command. Three more service members were injured.

“An explosion hit near a restaurant, targeting the Americans, and there were some forces for the Manbij Military Council with them,” one witness told Reuters.

Army Col. Sean Ryan, a spokesman for Operation Inherent Resolve, confirmed that U.S. troops were killed “during an explosion while conducting a routine patrol in Syria.”

Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan read a statement about the attack during his meeting Wednesday with Japanese Defense Minister Takeshi Iwaya.

“Allow me to extend on behalf of the Department of Defense, our thoughts and prayers to the families and team members of those killed and wounded during today’s attack in Manbij,” Shanahan said. “Our fight against terrorism is ongoing and we will remain vigilant and committed to its destruction.”

“Today is a stark reminder of the dangerous missions that men and women in uniform perform on our behalf each and every day.”

Shanahan did not answer a question from Task & Purpose about whether the Manbij attack would affect the withdrawal of U.S. troops from Syria, which President Donald Trump announced in December – prompting former Defense Secretary James Mattis to resign the following day.

Vice President Mike Pence said on Wednesday that both he and President Trump condemn the attack against U.S. troops in Manbij.

“Our hearts are with the loved ones of the fallen,” Pence said in a statement. “We honor their memory and we will never forget their service and sacrifice.

“Thanks to the courage of our armed forces, we have crushed the ISIS caliphate and devastated its capabilities. As we begin to bring our troops home, the American people can be assured, for the sake of our soldiers, their families, and our nation, we will never allow the remnants of ISIS to reestablish their evil and murderous caliphate – not now, not ever.”

White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders told reporters the president has been briefed on the attack and referred questions to the Pentagon. In a statement, Sanders said, “our deepest sympathies and love go out to the families of the brave American heroes who were killed today in Syria. We also pray for the soldiers who were wounded in the attack. Our service members and their families have all sacrificed so much for our country.”

Master Sgt. Jonathan J. Dunbar – reportedly a member of the Army’s elite Delta Force – and a British service member were killed on March 30, 2018 in Manbij. Dunbar was on a mission to capture or kill an ISIS member when an improvised explosive device went off.

“ISIS has a network of sleeper cells across formerly ISIS-held terrain and is activating them as part of a planned resurgence,” Jennifer Cafarella, of the Institute for Understanding War think tank, told Task & Purpose. “ISIS’s attack in Manbij demonstrates the threat ISIS poses in its insurgent form and foreshadows the resurgence that will occur as security gaps grow after an American withdrawal.”

SAS operator led charge into Kenya hotel to eliminate terrorists and save hostages

SAS operator assisting Kenyan security forces during terrorist attack (Photo: Getty)

The “long-serving” member of the SAS – motto Who Dares Wins – was on a mission to train and mentor Kenyan Special Forces when four terrorists attacked a hotel complex.

After one detonated a suicide belt the remaining three went on a gun and grenade rampage leaving 14 dead, including British development worker Luke Potter. Amid the carnage – orchestrated by terror group al-Shabaab – a lone SAS operator got tooled up and went in after a request for help from Kenyan security forces, sources said.

sas operator in kenya - SAS operator led charge into Kenya hotel to eliminate terrorists and save hostages
A long-serving member of the SAS is seen dragging a victim from the scene of the shooting (Photo: EPA)

Incredible images showed the operator in jeans, trainers and body armor storming through doors and aiding injured, his face covered by a balaclava. He was pictured operating at the hotel alone. But he was joined in the mission by US Navy Seals, sources said.

An insider said: “UK Special Forces always run towards the sound of gunfire. He was there training and mentoring Kenyan forces when the shout went up, so they went in. During the operation he fired off some rounds – it’s a safe bet he hit his target – the SAS don’t miss. He is a long-serving member of the Regiment, there is no doubt his actions saved lives.”

sas operator in kenyan hostage crisis - SAS operator led charge into Kenya hotel to eliminate terrorists and save hostages
Here he is seen speaking with another armed rescuer (Photo: AP:ASSOCIATED PRESS)

The incident was today declared over by Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta and all the attackers “eliminated”. Local police and soldiers were also seen taking part in the dramatic standoff, with some 700 people eventually rescued from the complex. Gunmen attacked the compound in the Westlands district of Kenya’s capital Nairobi on Tuesday afternoon.

The complex houses the DusitD2 hotel as well as offices and restaurants. In a TV address to the nation, Kenyatta said 14 people had been killed but hundreds more were safely evacuated.

Capt. Andrew Olson, callsign “Dojo” showing off some awesome new moves with his F-35

Capt. Andrew “Dojo” Olson, F-35 Heritage Flight Team pilot and commander performs aerial maneuvers during the Bell Fort Worth Alliance Air Show Oct. 14, 2018, in Fort Worth, Texas. (Photo: U.S. Air Force / Senior Airman Alexander Cook)

Following the U.S. Air Force’s official announcement of the new F-35A Lighting II Demonstration Team on December 4, 2018, demo pilot Capt. Andrew Olson, callsign “Dojo”, was captured in va ideo during what may be a partial practice session or a quick flyover at Luke AFB near Phoenix, Arizona.

Four videos appeared on Instagram on Thursday, January 10, 2019, and quickly collected over a thousand views. They were first posted by the 56th FW IG account and then reposted by @andyo_dojo, demo pilot Capt. Olson on Instagram.

The first video shows a remarkable sequence of maneuvers not previously seen at U.S. F-35A demonstrations where aerobatics were restricted. The first fully aerobatic F-35A demo was flown at the Paris Air Show in 2017 by Lockheed test pilot Billie Flynn.

In this clip, Capt. Andrew “Dojo” Olson approaches from the left, executes a pitch-up to the vertical with the first corner of a square loop to the inverted. Then it gets really good. Capt. Olson pulls back hard on the sidestick while inverted, backing off power and executing a quite tight loop. Once back to level flight, the F-35A begins a descending flat spiral at almost zero forward airspeeds. There is about one full 360° flat spin as Dojo repositions to exit show right.

Then, the remaining videos include a high AOA (Angle Of Attack), slow speed pass and a few vertical maneuvers as well as what seems to be a leaf of a cloverleaf maneuver.

These video hint at some of the maneuvers we’ll see in the new F-35A Demo Team routine beginning this spring at their first airshow appearance in Melbourne, Florida at the Melbourne Air & Space Show on March 30-31, 2019 at Orlando Melbourne International Airport.

Read the original article on The Aviationist. Copyright 2019. Follow The Aviationist on Twitter.

The Russian MoD Wants Authority To Shoot Passenger Jets Out Of The Sky

WATCH Moment Wing Breaks Off From Airframe of Russia's Su-57 Stealth Fighter

The Russian defense ministry is reportedly seeking the approval of new rules that would give the military permission to shoot down passenger planes deemed dangerous in emergency situations.

Existing legislation offers contradictory statements on how the military should respond to, for example, a 9/11 situation. The military is both allowed to fire on hijacked civilian aircraft and prohibited from destroying a passenger jet if there are hostages on board.

If the new rules are approved, the Russian military will be allowed to open fire on passenger jets that “refuse to obey commands to land,” The Moscow Times reported Friday, citing the draft regulations submitted by the defense ministry for public debate.

The military would be required to warn the aircraft with visual signals or warning shots before taking steps to down it, and such extreme measures would only be taken if “there is a real risk of people’s death or an environmental accident, including the direct threat of an air attack on critical infrastructure.”

“Sadly, people on the plane will die, but this will prevent a more terrible catastrophe,” Russian Senator Frants Klintsevich explained to Izvestia, a pro-Kremlin daily. He stressed that this would bring Russian policies more in line with those practiced in “many other countries.”

The US military stands ready to shoot down hijacked commercial airliners, the New York Times reported in 2003, two years after the 9/11 terrorist attacks. A senior general told the Times that the US military practices shooting down hijacked passenger jets three to four times a week. It’s unclear if that pace has been maintained.

The policies are in place, though, but only as a last resort.

Russia has a tragic history when it comes to the downing of passenger planes. Russian soldiers are accused of shooting down Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 over the Ukraine in 2014 with a surface-to-air missile fired from a Russian anti-aircraft battery, Newsweek reported. Russia denies any involvement in the incident, which killed 298 passengers.

In 1983, the Soviet military, by its own admission, shot down a Korean Airlines flight, ending the lives of all 269 people on board. Locked in a Cold War with the US, the Soviets thought the aircraft was a US Boeing RC-135 spy plane, Russia Today reported.

The US made a similar mistake just five years later during the Iran-Iraq war, accidentally downing an Iranian passenger jet carrying around 300 people.

TRENDING - 7 DAYS