Connect with us

United States

Special forces airman who saved Canadian lives receives medal for Operation Medusa



A U.S. airman has received a Silver Star medal for his actions during the 2006 Canadian-led Operation Medusa in Afghanistan.

Chief Master Sgt. Michael West, a Special Tactics operator with the 720th Operations Support Squadron, directed 58 coalition aircraft in dropping 24,000 pounds of bombs during the 2006 battle. The commander of the U.S. Air Force Special Operations Command, Lt. Gen. Brad Webb, presented the Silver Star to West during a ceremony on Dec. 15. West was assigned to various U.S. Army Special Forces teams at the time of the fighting.

West had originally been awarded the Bronze Star medal for his Operation Medusa actions but a U.S. Defense Department review upgraded that award. Here are more details below from an article written by Senior Airman Ryan Conroy, 24th Special Operations Wing:

On Sept. 5, 2006, then-Master Sgt. West was assigned to three different Special Forces teams alongside three platoons of Afghan National Army forces during a deployment to Panjwai Village, Afghanistan. A Canadian ground force would clear the village from west to east and the Special Forces teams, alongside West, would set up a blockade position south of the village.

As the Canadian-led ground force began their movement, they were met with fierce resistance, resulting in a crippling amount of casualties that forced them to disengage. In an attempt to salvage the operation, the Task Force directed the special operations teams to seize and hold elevated terrain to observe and attack enemy positions.

“The first day we approached this hill, we met heavy resistance … the enemy saw us coming from the south, and we started to get shot at from tree lines on either side of us,” said West.

At this time, West coordinated airpower from a B-1 Lancer bomber aircraft to drop eight bombs on the enemy and their resupply compound. This was the first time West would utilize airpower to eliminate the enemy, but it would not be his last.

The next day, the teams decided to advance up the hill further to investigate and clear an old enemy compound. Due to the high probability of enemy engagement, West coordinated two A-10 Thunderbolt aircraft to watch over them. They cleared the buildings and as they began to climb higher, an ANA soldier stepped on an anti-personnel mine.

“We were all blown back trying to figure out what happened and once the dust settled, we heard the screaming,” said West. “The soldier was lying there with half of his leg gone, and he was really banged up.”

West and his team leader quickly assessed the man for injuries and applied a tourniquet to stop the bleeding and decided he needed to be evacuated. As the team struggled to carry the injured ANA solider off the hill, a vehicle in the team’s convoy hit an improvised explosive device, which triggered a full-on assault from enemy forces.

“As soon as the it blew, the tree lines on either side of us fully erupted with gunfire … like they were waiting for that IED to explode,” said West. “We started receiving [rocket-propelled grenade] fire and small arms fire and my team was completely exposed.”

The joint special operations team began to fire back, but West did what multiple Special Tactics Airmen before and after him have done countless times, he called for airpower.

“I immediately put those A-10s into action and started putting them in gun runs on the tree line,” said West. “I was so focused on ensuring the enemy shooting at us was getting eliminated that I didn’t hear my team leader yelling at me to duck for cover – I was completely exposed up there.”

Multiple gun runs on the tree line allowed for his team to move behind cover using the convoy of vehicles. Eventually, the enemy began to maneuver away from the relentless gun runs into an open field. This allowed West to call in a danger-close 500-pound air-burst bomb to eliminate the remaining enemy. That was just the first day.

On the final day of the operation, the team began to clear areas around the hill for remaining enemy forces. They were split into three groups and once West and his team were a few kilometers away, one of the teams was ambushed while clearing huts used to dry grapes.

“I heard my name over the radio and they needed my help – and they needed it quickly,” said West.

His team drove directly at the enemy forces firing from yet another tree line. This time, West utilized two F-18 Hornet fighter aircraft to push the enemy out. West used this as another opportunity to eliminate the remaining forces with another danger-close 500-pound bomb.

“It completely eliminated the threat,” said West. “It went from a chaotic situation, screaming over the radio, to the enemy is now running away.”

At the end of the five-day operation, West was credited with saving 51 American lives and 33 coalition partners while eliminating more than 500 enemy from their safe haven.

Most Popular (7 days)