Houthi fighters pose on an alleged captured Saudi vehicle after an attack near the border with Saudi Arabia's southern region of Najran in Yemen, in this still image taken from video on September 29, 2019. Houthi military officials claim that offensive defeated "enemy forces" leading to capture of Saudi soldiers, officers and vehicles. (Photo: Houthi Rebels)
The war in Yemen is hitting a new level as the Houthi rebels, an Iranian-backed movement, claimed on Saturday that they have captured several thousands of Saudi soldiers after they have carried out an attack on a Saudi Arabian military post near the border with Yemen. Alongside the army personnel, Houthis claim that they have also captured large numbers of Saudi military vehicles.
In an official statement, a Houthi spokesman told the BBC that three “enemy military brigades had fallen” brigades had surrendered near the Saudi town of Najran. He said thousands of soldiers had been captured and many others killed. Official Riyadh has not confirmed the claim. The attack was launched 72 hours ago and supported by the group’s “drone, missile and air defense units,” Reuters reported on Saturday.
Further, colonel Yahiya Sarea said Saudi forces had suffered “huge losses in life and machinery”. All those captured would be paraded on the Houthi-run Al Masirah TV network on Sunday, he added.
Saudi Arabia has been at war with the Houthi rebels in Yemen since early 2015 after their operations led to the ouster of the internationally recognized government of Ali Abdullah Saleh in the capital Sanaa. The Houthis have control of Sanaa and most big urban centers in Yemen.
This was a second huge-scale attack on Saudi Arabia this month. The September 14 drone attacks on two plants owned by Saudi Arabian giant Aramco, including the world’s largest crude oil processing plant, slashed the company’s oil production by half.