Connect with us

United States

Bloody rampage in Fresno, California, leaves three dead

Published

on

The gunman shouted “Allahu Akbar” as he opened fire, according to Fresno police chief Jerry Dyer. He is now in police custody.

The suspect is 39-year-old Kori Ali Muhammad. In addition to these three counts of murder, Muhammad is being charged with two counts of attempted murder and a fourth count for the fatal shooting of security guard in Fresno on Sunday.

Of the three victims, one died instantly while another two was rushed to the hospital and a third to the Fresno Police Department headquarters. At least one of the victims was a utility worker with Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E), a major California energy provider. Another person was shot at but not injured.

​The gunman’s weapon was a large handgun, possibly a revolver. Eyewitnesses reported that he paused to reload at least once.

​The shootings occurred in three different places: in front of a Catholic Church charity, the front yard of a residential home, and a bus stop. All four victims were white males, and Dyer claims that Muhammad has a hatred for white people.

Dyer called the crime a “random act of violence.” He also said that it was “too early” to call the crime an act of terrorism, but the suspect shouting “Allahu Akbar” indicates just that.

Advertisement    

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

United States

Officers Down, Schools on Lockdown After North Carolina Prison Break

Published

on

According to reports, a failed escape in North Carolina’s Pasquotank Correctional Institution left several officers injured. Located in the Elizabeth City, North Carolina, the prisoners set fire to the prison’s sewing plant to distract prison guards on the scene. The incident was first reported at around 3:30 p.m. when an alert was sent out via the state’s public safety Twitter account.

One officer was reportedly struck with a hammer, while three others were sent to a nearby hospital. Of the three, one is said to be an unresponsive female officer and the two others are males between 40 and 50 years of age. Officials later confirmed to local media that at least six people were sent to the Sentara Albemarle Medical Center in Elizabeth City.

“It was chaos here,” the Virginian-Pilot cited Randy Cartwright, Pasquotank County Sheriff, saying. “We’re just getting things under control.”

In response to the incident, three nearby schools, Northside Elementary, Elizabeth City Middle School and Pasquotank County High School, have been placed on lockdown per instruction from Emergency Management.

The prison is an all-male institution with roughly 900 inmates. Speaking to reporters, an official with the Pasquotank County Sheriff’s Officer said “all we know is there were multiple people injured,” Newsweek reported.

According to Heavy, the prison previously made headlines back in February and April this year. In February an inmate was caught with marijuana while in April a prisoner was stabbed multiple times — he did survive his injuries.​

Continue Reading

United States

Mattis Says US Army Must Ensure Having Military Options Over North Korea

Published

on

US Secretary of Defense James Mattis has shed light on the Pentagon’s stance on the North Korean issue amid controversial remarks made by President Donald Trump, saying that “only one thing will work” with regard to Pyongyang.

When asked about the Pentagon’s North Korea strategy, US Secretary of Defense James Mattis said at an annual meeting with the military that despite Washington sticking to the “diplomatically-led economic sanctions buttressed effort” to convince Pyongyang to “turn off this [nuclear program] path,” the US Army should be “ready to ensure that we have military options that our president can employ if needed.”

“[North] Korea is in all of our minds, and you know there is a reason,” Mattis said, adding, “What does the future hold? Neither you nor I can say.”

He emphasized that currently, Washington resorts to diplomacy, adding that the UN Security Council twice in a row voted unanimously in favor of imposing stronger sanctions on Pyongyang over its ballistic and nuclear missile launches.

“The international community has spoken, but that means the US Army must stand ready,” Mattis said.

Mattis’ statement comes after last week US President Donald Trump’s tweets suggested that Washington might be considering a military option regarding North Korea. Most recently, the US president said that “only one thing will work” with regard to Pyongyang as “talking to North Korea for 25 years, agreements made and massive amounts of money paid hasn’t worked.”

Earlier, he said that US State Secretary Rex Tillerson is “wasting his time trying to negotiate with Little Rocket Man,” adding that “we’ll do what has to be done.”
Meanwhile, earlier this week a Russian lawmaker, who has just returned from North Korea, claimed that Pyongyang is ready to test a missile capable of reaching the US western coast. The Pentagon responded by telling Sputnik that it is “closely” watching North Korea.

The North Korean nuclear and missile test issue has been aggravated in recent months as Pyongyang has held several rounds of missile launches and nuclear tests. The most recent one was conducted on September 15, when North Korea launched a ballistic missile, which flew over Japan before falling into the northern Pacific some 20 minutes after the launch.

On September 11, the UN Security Council unanimously adopted its toughest resolution yet against North Korea over its latest nuclear test and repeated missile launches. The move prompted harsh criticism from Pyongyang which subsequently vowed to use any means possible to retaliate against the United States.

Continue Reading

Most Popular (30 days)