Connect with us

War zone

Brutal retaliation executions in Mosul leaking out

Published

on

The Iraqi government has said it is investigating a video seemingly showing troops killing suspected Islamic State militants detained in the Mosul area. In the footage, men wearing uniform throw an unarmed man over a cliff. They then shoot his motionless body.

An interior ministry spokesman said that if the video was authentic those responsible must be brought to justice. Human rights groups say they have received numerous witness reports of torture and executions in Mosul.

Iraq’s prime minister declared victory over IS in the city on Monday, after a nine-month battle that left large areas in ruins, killed thousands of civilians and displaced more than 920,000 others.

Troops are still clearing parts of the Old City, where as many as a couple of hundred militants may be hiding, according to commanders of the US-led coalition that supported the operation.

The authenticity of the video cannot be verified or when or where it was filmed. But Human Rights Watch (HRW) said it had verified the location with satellite imagery.

The US-based group added that the video was one of four featuring alleged abuses that were posted online on Tuesday and Wednesday by an Iraqi man who regularly published information regarding security and military activities in and around Mosul.

Another video purportedly showed IS militants who had surrendered in Mosul’s Old City

Numerous witnesses had reported not only a significant increase in the torture and extrajudicial killing of IS suspects by armed forces but also a feeling among personnel that they no longer needed to conceal such actions, according to the HRW.

At the end of June, HRW published a report detailing allegations from four witnesses, who said they had seen Iraqi forces beat unarmed men and boys fleeing the fighting in Mosul and also obtained information about Iraqi forces killing unarmed men.

One witness said that he had seen two Counter-Terrorism Service (CT) personnel take down the corpse of a suspected IS militant that had been strung up to an electrical pole, and stone the body before taking a few photos of each other posing with it. Later, he added, a CTS fighter showed him a video of a detainee being shot dead.

The Swedish newspaper Expressen also cited an Iraqi federal police officer as saying that he had decapitated at least 50 men with knives and beaten others. The article said the officer had backed up the claims with photos and videos.

HRW has also said that Iraqi forces are detaining and holding thousands of men and boys in inhumane conditions without charge, under the guise of screening them for IS-affiliation.

Advertisement    

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

War zone

ISIS fighter’s own head-cam films the dramatic moment he is blown to pieces

Published

on

Three ISIS jihadis filmed themselves being blown up by a Syrian tank. One fighter’s headcam caught the moment a round struck their armoured vehicle, ending their lives.

One fighter shouts: ‘Tank on the right side’, while another yells: ‘The tank, the tank, the tank is over there, over there, over there.’

As they lose sight of the tank, one fighter asks where it is before another jihadi replies: ‘Over there, the tank will bomb us.’ The fighters desperately plea for anti-tank units, shouting ‘follow us, follow us’ as one mans the gun on the top of the car.

There is then an enormous explosion as the jihadis get hit and wiped out.

Continue Reading

War zone

Russian Airstrikes Destroy Nusra Front Attacking Military Police in Idlib

Published

on

The Russian Defense Ministry has released a video of Russian airstrikes that helped to check the US-initiated offensive by al-Nusra terrorists in Syria’s Idlib de-escalation zone and break the militants’ siege of a Russian military police unit encircled in the area.

The footage shows armed vehicles being ripped apart by missiles raining down on them by Russian strike fighters and helicopter gunships just as the Syrian Army launched a massive counterattack forcing the jihadists into a retreat.

The al-Nusra Front terrorists used artillery, tanks and infantry fighting vehicles during their offensive to the north and northeast of the city of Hama in the Idlib de-escalation zone penetrating Syrian army defenses to a depth of some 12 kilometers (8 miles).

A statement by the Russian General Staff said that the militants’ attack was “initiated by US secret services to stop the successful advance of government troops to the east of Deir ez-Zor.”
The Americans deny the charges.

A 29-person strong Russian military police unit was encircled and repelled the terrorists’ attacks for several hours fighting alongside members of an allied local tribe until Russian Spetsnaz and Syrian Special Ops units, backed by the Su-25 strike fighters, came to the rescue breaking the enemy siege.

The terrorist offensive has largely been stopped, leaving 850 militants dead and 11 tanks, four armored vehicles and other military hardware completely destroyed.

The Syrian Army, supported by Russian warplanes, launched a counterattack and has almost completely reclaimed its positions in the Idlib de-escalation zone.

Continue Reading

Most Popular (30 days)

JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER

Subscribe now for free

Sign up today for free and be the first to get the latest news & intel from our former military journalists. Support our Veteran writers and get the latest news and exclusive intel.

We won't disclose your personal information to third parties without your permission.