Connect with us

War zone

WATCH as Russian Air Power Wipes Out Daesh Positions in Precision Strikes

Published

on

The clips, released by the Defense Ministry on its official YouTube channel and social media feeds, show recent attacks by Russian Su-34 fighter-bombers against the terrorist group in the province of Deir ez-Zor, eastern Syria.
On Tuesday, Defense Ministry spokesman Maj. Gen. Igor Konashenkov said that Russian planes had carried out a total of 182 strikes against Daesh over the last 24 hours.

The strikes were preceded by drone-based reconnaissance showing fortified Daesh positions on the eastern bank of the Euphrates River near the city of Mayadin, about 70 km west of Syria’s border with Iraq.

Daesh targets in the area included an ammunition depot and a network of fortified underground tunnels sheltering a large group of militants.

Two pairs of Su-34 fighter-bombers took turns attacking the area, hitting the target 14 times. The strikes eliminated four tanks, three infantry fighting vehicles, nine off-road vehicles fitted with large-caliber machine guns, and two rocket artillery systems. The Russian military estimates about 50 Daesh casualties from the attack, with another 30 trapped in underground tunnels.

The Su-34s returned to the area forty minutes later, eliminating twenty more terrorists who had arrived to evacuate their comrades.

In a separate strike, the Aerospace Forces eliminated nearly three dozen militants near the village of Hatla, Deir ez-Zor province, along with five heavy machine-gun equipped jihad-mobiles and two ammo-carrying vehicles. The terrorist caravan had arrived in Syria from Iraq, according to the Defense Ministry.

The city of Mayadin serves as a staging area for Daesh attacks in Deir ez-Zor province against Palmyra and the city of Deir ez-Zor. The Syrian Army is conducting an operation to encircle the militants in the city, and to squeeze the rest out of the area.

Advertisement    

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

War zone

Israel Destroys Syrian Air Defence Battery After Alleged ‘Shelling’

Published

on

The IDF has cited its right to “thwart hostilities towards Israeli population”. The incident comes as the latest in a string of tit-for-tat attacks between Damascus and Tel Aviv that remain in a state of war for decades.
The Israeli Air Force has announced that its military jets destroyed an anti-aircraft battery east of the Syrian capital of Damascus on October 16. The incident has not yet been confirmed by the Syrian government.

According to the IDF, the “retaliatory” move came after Israeli jets had been targeted with an anti-aircraft missile launched from the Syrian territory. The military’s spokesperson has said that no hits had been confirmed. The jets were carrying out a routine reconnaissance mission over Lebanon.

While the IDF has blamed the Syrian government for the incident, it has yet again stated it “maintains its ability to thwart hostilities against Israeli civilians.” According to one of the heads of the Israeli military’s press service, Tel Aviv has also notified Russia that has a military presence Syria of the airstrike in real time.

“The Russians were notified in real time, or maybe just before [the attack],” the military official said. However, the IDF said that it “has no intention to destabilize the situation.”

In September Israeli jets attacked the Syrian army in the Hama province, however the IDF refused to comment on the incident. Israel and Syria have exchanged numerous tit-for-tat attacks over the disputed area of Golan Hights, seized by Israel during the Six-Day War in 1967.

The move has been repeatedly condemned by the international community. According to the UN resolution adopted in 1981, the Golan Heights were declared as illegally occupied by Israel. In 2008, the United Nations reitterated its calls for Tel Aviv to return the ‘annexed territory’ — something that, according to the incumbent PM Benyamin Netanyahu, “Israel will never do”.

Continue Reading

War zone

Syrian Democratic Forces Begin Final Assault on ISIS in Raqqa

Published

on

The US-backed Syrian rebels have announced the final stage of their operation to free the former so-called ISIS “capital,” Raqqa, from terrorists.

The Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) said that they have started the final assault on Raqqa after the evacuation of civilians and Daesh terrorists, who agreed to leave the city.

“The battle will continue until the whole city is clean of the terrorists who refused to surrender, including the foreign fighters,” a statement by the SDF said on Sunday.

Earlier, the US-led coalition announced that an agreement has been reached to evacuate civilians from Raqqa. After a convoy with evacuees left the former “capital” of ISIS terrorist group, the final battle with remaining terrorists began. Reuters reported citing a militia spokesman that 275 Daesh fighters from Syria left Raqqa, according to the agreement, while 200-300 militants mostly of foreign origin remained in the city.

“We still expect there to be difficult fighting,” US-led coalition’s spokesman Colonel Ryan Dillon said.

A source in the Syrian Democratic Forces that are conducting the Raqqa operation on the ground with the coalition’s support, told Sputnik on Friday that the city is set to be liberated from militants within 2-3 days. The source added that the strength of the terrorists is running out; their defeats in Raqqa have undermined their morale and prevent them from fighting back. According to SDF representatives, the Syrian rebels currently control about 90 percent of Raqqa.

Raqqa has been under ISIS control since 2013. On November 6, the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces, also consisting of Arab, Assyrian and Turkmen fighters, among others, announced the start of the military operation to liberate the Syrian city of Raqqa from Daesh terrorist group with the assistance of the US-led coalition’s airstrikes. Raqqa’s Old City was freed from Daesh last month.

Continue Reading

Most Popular (30 days)