Connect with us

World

Action movie star responsibile for Venezuela helicopter attack become a most wanted man

Published

on

Out of nowhere, Oscar Pérez has become the country’s most talked-about man and he is currently on the run. President Nicolás Maduro has declared him a terrorist, accusing him of stealing a military helicopter and dropping grenades on the court to mount a coup. Here is what we know about him so far.

Highly trained agent

Now in his mid-30s, Oscar Pérez has been a member of the forensic police force, known as the CICPC, for 15 years. The Venezuelan media emphasize that he is a highly trained agent, part of the Special Actions Brigade (BAE), where he is chief of operations for the Air Force division.

He has posted videos of himself practicing target-shooting tricks online

The president said he once worked as a pilot for the ex-minister of interior and justice, Miguel Rodríguez Torres, who, according to Maduro, has been plotting a coup against him. The ex-minister called the accusations “nonsense”, according to local media.

What is behind the political crisis?

The government has also accused Pérez of having ties to the United States, specifically the CIA, which it also often says is trying to overthrow it. As yet, Pérez has no confirmed links with any international or domestic groups, although he has claimed to be part of an anti-government coalition of military, police and civilians.

Action man of social media

On the day of the attack, Pérez posted a series of video statements on his Instagram account, calling people to rise up “to recuperate our beloved Venezuela”. The posts suggest someone who is prepared to put himself under public scrutiny. He appears flanked by four armed, masked men, and stares squarely at the camera to read his message.

Beyond this, he has laid bare the rest of his life in more than 900 posts on the social network. Or at least he has laid out the curated life he wants to present to the world: a self-styled action man. He poses with large guns and helicopters. He is seen practicing self-defense moves and scuba-diving.

Police official Oscar Perez poses for photographs during an event of the Body of Scientific, Penal and Criminal Investigation (CICPC) in Caracas, Venezuela March 1, 2015. REUTERS/Christian Veron

In January he was even pictured scuba-diving while brandishing a high-calibre weapon underwater. It was captioned, “We prepare ourselves so that there are no limits. Venezuela is a single nation.” In another, he shows off his skills by shooting a target over his shoulder, behind his back, using only a make-up mirror as a guide.

But he is also shown patting police dogs and hugging child cancer patients. Alongside pictures of hospitalised children, he comments on the medicine shortages that have been gripping the country. Earlier this year, the national medical federation said that hospitals had less than 5% of the medicines they needed.

The president has blamed the problem on an economic war against his government and the sharp fall in oil prices, but his critics blame his mismanagement.

Movie actor

Oscar Pérez has also worked as an actor and film producer. In 2015, he played a role in Venezuelan film, Suspended Death, which tells the story of elite police officers rescuing the victim of a kidnapping.

In a promotional interview with local media, he described his own life in bombastic terms: “I am a helicopter pilot, a combat diver and a free parachutist. I am also a father, a companion and an actor … I am a man who goes out without knowing if he will return home because death is part of evolution.”

‘Peace is Coming’

Before the attack on Tuesday, he posted a picture – without any commentary – of a painting by contemporary US artist Jon McNaughton. It shows a glorified Jesus Christ surrounded by dozens of soldiers from different eras, and is titled ‘Peace is Coming’.

Advertisement    

Click to comment

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Leave a Reply

World

The Israeli Military May Soon Allow Women to Fight in Tanks

Published

on

Israel has begun an experimental program to see whether women should be allowed to fight in tanks. The move comes as Russia has decided to allow women to pilot military jets, and the U.S. Marine Corps graduated its first female armor officer in April.

The Israeli project is using female soldiers who just finished their basic training. “For the past two weeks, 15 women have been participating in the program, testing their ability to operate tanks, including lifting shells, loading them, driving and firing,” an Israeli military spokesman told the Jerusalem Post earlier this month.

“The focus of the program is to examine the physical abilities of these troops who are divided into teams, each led by a male soldier in command of a Merkava Mark III tank – the most numerous model in front-line service,” the Post said. “Throughout all phases of the program, the women will be accompanied by experienced tank commanders, doctors, nutritionists and fitness experts.”

However, the Israel Defense Force test is also notable because of what it is not. Rather than mixed-gender crews, the tanks will be operated by female-only crews. The IDF has also said that the female-only tanks will not be committed directly into combat zones, but rather will be used for border security.

Why is the IDF considering women as tankers? The answer is not feminism but desperation. “The Armored Corps, in recent years, has become one of the least popular units for recruits because it is said to have the worst service conditions and fewer weekends off than other corps,” the Post pointed out.

Already the project has drawn fire. A former top Israeli commander says female tankers “would undermine in a very dangerous way the delicate and sensitive balance in an already volatile area of the IDF.” Much of that volatility is coming from ultra-Orthodox soldiers who object to serving alongside women.

“If we put two people into a closed box, there’s no way something won’t happen,” warns former IDF chief rabbi Yisrael Weiss. “We can’t put a couple, a man and a woman, a male soldier and a female soldier, into a closed box for a week and expect that nothing will happen. You’ll get a little tank soldier in another nine months.”

Israel is unusual in that women as well as men are subject to the draft, though about 50 percent of women qualify for exemptions on grounds such as religious belief, while about 25 percent of men get the same exemption. Women have long been employed in support roles, such as training snipers—even when women themselves are not employed as combat snipers. The Israeli Air Force graduated its first female fighter pilot in 2001.

The IDF already has women in combat units, notably the Caracal infantry battalion. But unlike regular tank crews or the women in the pilot project, Caracal is a co-ed unit where women serve in combat alongside men.

For the United States, the issue about women tankers isn’t so much religious belief as in Israel, though some of the opposition does seem to be rooted in American conservative dogma that a woman’s place isn’t in the turret. But for both the United States and Israel, the real question will boil down to how well women can do the job. Though tankers get to ride rather than walk to work, it’s still a physically demanding job to change a broken track or load shells. And, as the IDF rabbi pointed out, it is putting young men and women into a confined space—though not a very romantic one.

Continue Reading

World

North Korea Building Their First Nuclear Submarine

Published

on

North Korea launched a new ballistic missile from submarine

Japanese media outlets are reporting that North Korea is clandestinely building a nuclear-powered submarine that they hope to have operational by 2020. The reports come from an anonymous but “informed” source.

Japanese newspaper Sekai Nippo claims that the “informed” source “familiar with the North Korea situation” told them that the DPRK has been clandestinely building the nuclear submarine, which would be a massive leap forward from the current DPRK Navy, which may maintain a fleet of 50 to 60 diesel-electric submarines.

The source went on to claim that Chinese and Russian engineers have been lending their expertise to the DPRK at North Korea’s Nampo Naval Shipyard, in North Korea’s manufacturing capital.

While nuclear submarines are significantly more difficult and expensive to produce than conventional diesel-electric ones, they are also faster, more powerful, more versatile, and have a wider range since they can stay underwater for much longer without needing to resurface and refuel.

Nuclear submarines are often paired with ballistic missiles, and they can greatly increase a nation’s power projection and are a stealthier launch method than firing from a ground-based silo. Analysts have suspected that the DPRK is interested in nuclear submarines for this reason, as Pyongyang has greatly bolstered their missile program in recent years.

In the US Navy, nuclear submarines armed with ballistic missiles form part of the Nuclear Triad, which guarantees the ability of the United States to return fire in the event of a sudden nuclear strike, since finding and destroying all missile submarines before they can launch their missiles is effectively impossible.

Since 2014, North Korea has test launched their Pukguksong-1 submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) at least six times. An operational Pukguksong-1 could be loaded into a nuclear submarine, which could then maneuver into international waters and fire a missile that would be nearly impossible to intercept. The Pukguksong-1 could also hypothetically be equipped with a small nuclear warhead.

The US military has been closely monitoring the North Korean navy after what they suspect was an “ejection test” of the Pukguksong-1 in August. In May, think tank 38 North claimed that satellite imagery identified what appeared to be a test site for SLBMs at Nampo.

As the US bloc continue to ramp up military and economic pressure on North Korea, Pyongyang has given no indications of blinking. “The increased moves of the US and its vassal forces to impose sanctions and pressure on the DPRK will only increase our pace towards the ultimate completion of the state nuclear force,” said their state news agency in a Monday press release.

Continue Reading

Most Popular (30 days)

JOIN OUR NEWSLETTER

Subscribe now for free

Sign up today for free and be the first to get the latest news & intel from our former military journalists. Support our Veteran writers and get the latest news and exclusive intel.

We won't disclose your personal information to third parties without your permission.