Connect with us

World

The Gambia crisis: Former president Yahya Jammeh given midday deadline to leave country

Published

on

Yahya Jammeh, the former president of The Gambia, has been given until midday on Friday to leave the country after regional leaders sent soldiers across the border in support of his successor.

The Ecowas union of West African states said its soldiers would forcibly remove Mr Jammeh from power unless he agreed to finally hand power to his democratically-elected successor, Adama Barrow.

Mr Jammeh, who has been president since 1994, lost December’s presidential election to Mr Barrow but has refused to leave office. On Thursday he sacked his remaining cabinet ministers and vowed to run all government departments himself.

Senegalese soldiers entered The Gambia on Thursday night vowing to remove Mr Jammeh from power. Several West African leaders, including the presidents of Liberia, Mauritania and Guinea, will arrive in Gambia on Friday in a last-ditch attempt to negotiate a peaceful transition of power.

With the incumbent clinging to power, Mr Barrow was forced to hold his inauguration ceremony on Thursday in Dakar, the capital of neighbouring Senegal. He has the support of other West African states and was backed by a unanimously-passed resolution of the UN Security Council.

Mr Barrow took the oath of office at his country’s embassy in Dakar in front of an audience of delegates.

Speaking afterwards he said: “This is victory of the Gambian nation. Our national flag will now fly high among the other democratic nations of the world.

“This is a day no Gambian will ever forget. “This is the first time since the Gambia became independent in 1965 that the Gambia has changed the government through the ballot box.”

He also called on the UN to support his right to govern.

“I hereby make a special appeal to Ecowas, AU [African Union] and the UN, particularly the security council, to support the government and people of the Gambia in enforcing their will, restore their sovereignty and constitutional legitimacy”, he said.

The UN Security Council responded by unanimously backing an emergency resolution calling on countries in the region “to cooperate with President Barrow in his efforts to realise the transition of power”. It urged the use of “political means first”, still.

Despite initially conceding defeat following his election loss, Mr Jammeh then dismissed the result and claimed the vote had been marred by irregularities. Although numerous of his ministers have since resigned, the former president has continued to assert his right to remain in office.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

World

Barcelona attacker shot by Spanish police in video

Published

on

This is the extraordinary moment a ‘drugged-up’ terrorist in a fake suicide vest was gunned down – and then got up again – during the second terror attack on a Spanish beach resort 70 miles from Barcelona overnight.

The jihadi was hit with several bullets but clambered to his feet shouting taunts, climbed some crash barriers and then walked towards armed officers who had to shoot him again.

He was part of a group of five terrorist who giggled and grinned at police after their Audi A3 car overturned having ploughed through crowds on the seafront in Cambrils on the Costa Dorada at 1am today, killing one woman and injuring six more including a policeman.

Eight hours earlier a ‘linked’ ISIS van assault on the packed Los Ramblas boulevard in Barcelona killed 13 including a three-year-old girl and injured at least 100 victims from 34 different countries.

The Cambrils terrorists bailed out of their crashed Audi clutching knives used to stab a woman in the face and were seen smiling at police who shot them dead in the street at around 1am.

Continue Reading

World

Police shoot five terrorists attempting second deadly attack in Catalonia, Spain

Published

on

GOE solved hostage crisis in BES bank after attempted bank robbery - shots fired

Catalan police conducted a raid early on Friday, linked to an attempted van ramming attack in the coastal town of Cambrils, about 60 miles from Barcelona. Four suspects were killed during the raid, while the fifth, who was injured and arrested, died in custody.

Catalan police say that one terrorist may still be at large, and that the attackers may have been wearing suicide belts. Catalan civil protection authorities have said that six civilians and one police officer were wounded during the operation.

Catalan police have tweeted that they believe the Cambrils attack was a terrorist incident, and that the perpetrators have been killed.

Spanish outlet Cadena Ser has reported that the Cambrils attackers also attempted a van ramming attack in the town square, but the van overturned and the occupants were shot by police.

The incident comes just hours after Thursday’s van ramming attack in Barcelona’s city square that left 13 dead.

Police are examining possible links of terror suspects killed in Cambrils to Barcelona van attack, which Daesh has claimed responsibility for. The similar modus operandi of the attacks would suggest that there is some connection.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Most Popular