US national security and military officials and diplomats are meeting Tuesday to discuss the possible response to North Korea’s missile launch, including the possibility to send additional troops to the region, CNN reported.
If the officials determine that North Korea really launched in intercontinental ballistic missile, US President Donald Trump will probably have to approve a “measured” response, which could mean sending additional US troops and aircraft to boost the US presence; additional sanctions could also be a tool, an official told CNN.
North Korea announced earlier in the day it had successfully launched its first intercontinental ballistic missile, the Hwasong-14, at 00:30 GMT. It said the missile traveled 580 miles and reached an altitude of 1,740 miles during its 39-minute flight before “accurately hitting the target waters in the open sea” in the Sea of Japan.
Earlier in the day, Russian and Chinese foreign ministries released a joint statement calling on Pyongyang to declare a moratorium on nuclear tests and urging the US and South Korea to refrain from joint drills in order to avoid further escalation of the situation on the peninsula.
North Korea carried out several missile tests in the past two months, possibly testing an ICBM rocket engine on June 23 and missiles of various ranges on June 08, May 29 and May 21.
Over the years, the United Nations Security Council has issued numerous resolutions concerning North Korea. The June 02 resolution condemned nuclear weapons and ballistic missile development activities, while the March 23 resolution strengthened sanctions against Pyongyang.