The French Foreign Legion is a constitutional part of the French Army. The only difference between regular French army soldiers and legionnaires is that the legionnaires are exclusively foreigners. French Foreign Legion use the same weapons and equipment as the rest of the French army.
History of the French Foreign Legion
French Foreign Legion was founded by French King Louis Philip on March, 10th 1831, and it was immediately sent out to take part in a conquering campaign in Algeria. French Foreign Legion has since participated in all the wars of the French-led, participated in the first and second world war. After World War II, the Foreign Legion include a large number of German troops. So after the second WWII. War in the foreign legion was even about 40% of Germans.
1945th He started the war in Indochina, which participates Foreign Legion, and there the whole of the French army filed a crushing defeat to the hell of war perished in a bunch of legionnaires. Legion fought around the world, Africa was often a battlefield, from Algeria, Libya, Tunisia, Chad to the present peacekeeping missions.
Structure of the Foreign Legion
Today, the French Foreign Legion composed about 8500 soldiers, only men.
Divided into 9 Regiment (Regiment) and one independent unit.
- First cavalry (armored) regiments (1st REC) stationed in Orange
- 1.regiments (1 RE) (mainly administrative) stationed in Aubagne near Marseille (Headquarters legion)
- First, the Engineering Regiment (1st REG) stationed in Laudunu
- Second engineer regiment (2nd REG), based in St Christol
- Second Infantry Regiment (2nd REI), based in Nimes
- Second Parachute Regiment (2nd REP) stationed on Corsica, in the regiment can only best legionaries.
- 3rd Infantry Regiment (3rd REI) stationed in France Gajan, in South America, it is the task of fighting with various smugglers and the protection of the European space center in Fr. Gajan
- 4th Regiment (4th RE), based in Castelnaudary, the regiment used to train legionnaires.
- The 13th semi Djiboutiju brigades stationed in Africa is the struggle for the various rebels and pirates in the Horn of Africa.
- and a unit legion is located near the islands of Madagascar, Mayotte (overseas possession of France)
Today, the French Foreign Legion participates in peacekeeping missions around the world. Legionnaires on missions in Chad, the Central African Republic, Lebanon, Afghanistan, Djiboutiju, and French Guiana.
Recruiting foreign legion
is performed at 11 recruitment centers in France.
Candidates for Legionnaires must attend one of France’s recruitment centers with valid documents (passport and visa (if required for entry into FR.) The candidate should meet some basic requirements, namely:
age between 18 and 40 years,
The psychophysical ability is checked as follows:
- Testing health status implies a complete health examination (as an aspect of bones, flexibility, eye examination, hearing, blood and urine tests, etc.)
- mental health testing is done through two of them and tests intelligence test
- security check conducted Bureau Des Statistiques de la Legion Etranger – BSLE, popularly known as the Gestapo. The department legion you will undergo a constant stream of questions about your life before, about friends, school, motives entry into the Legion, misdemeanors, or possibly criminal history. The department is surprisingly well-informed and, therefore, crushing, not worth it, especially if you’re a good hustler.
- Interviews (two interviews) occur most often with Caporal-chef (first) and major (second). They will ask you about your Motive for joining the Legion.
- Test of physical strength and endurance consists of the Luc Leger test (run), 4 pull-ups with palms outward, climbing rope from 5 feet, and 40 sit-ups.
Once in the Foreign Legion to the toughest criminally, but today this is no longer the case; I can not get into the legion killers, rapists, and other serious offenders, but the legion of tolerating minor offenders.
Legionnaires in training a new foreign legion
Applicants who meet these requirements go to the 4-month training Castelnodary or, in the jargon called Farm to the complexes, which are suitable training legionnaires.
On that train, candidates learn military skills and raise their psycho-physical condition. After candidates complete their training, they get a white hat, proving that they have become real legionnaires. They will be deployed to the regiment they choose according to their performance in training.
Legion there are several specialties (courses), and one of them must have every legionnaire. Still, every legionnaire has the opportunity to complete more courses, such as courses for drivers, cooks, snipers, strojničara operators, antitank weapons …
Weaponry of French Foreign Legion
- basic gun license PAMAS picking 92 9mm, and 2 REP uses Glock 17
- basic rifle FAMAS rifle in 5.56 caliber, GCP ( a special unit within 2 REP) is used as the standard U.S. M4 carbine rifle. 5.56 mm
- Puškostrojnica FN Minimi 5.56 mm
- M2 heavy machine gun 12.7 mm
- Easy sniper rifle FRF2 7.62 mm
- Heavy sniper rifle PGM Hecate 2 12.7 mm
- Anti-tank weapons used by the legion of AT4 CS, Apalis, ERYX, and missiles MILAN and MILAN 2
- AMX 10 RC light tank on wheels with a 105mm cannon.
- ERC 90 Sagaie light armored vehicle with a 90mm cannon
- AMX-10P armored personnel carrier for 8 passengers.
- VAB armored transporter easily for about 10 passengers.
- VBL light armored SUV
- VBCI Military armored infantry vehicle capacity of 9 passengers is currently being introduced into service, replacing the AMX-10P
- Peugeot P4 jeep is unscreened.
- VLRA small truckload.
Famous former legionnaires
- Ante Gotovina-retired Croatian general.
- Milorad Ulumek aka Legija
- 1 Peter Karadjordjevic-Serbian king in the early years of the 20th st
- Frank Sinatra-American singer.
- And many other famous people, from politicians to entertainers over athletes.