Mexican SOF operator involved in the arrest of ‘El Chapito’ shot dead

Eric Sof

The Mexican SOF operator involved in the arrest of the drug lord ‘El Chapito’has been assassinated in a parking lot. Ovidio Guzmán ‘El Chapito’ López is a son of reputed drug lord Joaquin ‘El Chapo’ Guzman.

CCTV footage captured the horrifying moment on Wednesday morning when at least two gunmen armed with submachine gun climbed out of a red car and opened fire at a parked white Nissan four-door sedan.

The ambush took less than 30 seconds as the gunmen fired at least 155 bullets into the white vehicle according to the reports. The red car had followed the white car into the parking lot of a shopping center in Culiacán, the capital of Sinaloa state, reported.

The Mexican authorities identified the dead officer as Eduardo ‘N,’ 32. He was a high-level officer with Sinalo’s State Preventive Police. Local media reports indicate that he was involved in the October 17 arrest of Ovidio Guzmán López, the son of Sinaloa cartel boss Joaquín ‘El Chapo’ Guzmán.

Mexican special forces had ‘El Chapito’ outside a house on his knees against a wall before they were forced to back off and let him go as his cartel’s gunmen shot up the Culiacan.

Defense Secretary Luis Cresencio Sandoval last week showed video and presented a timeline of the failed operation to arrest Guzmán López – an incident that embarrassed the administration of President Andrés Manuel López Obrador.

The video shot by soldiers shows Guzmán exit the house with his hands up. Soldiers order him to call off the attacks around the city as gunfire is heard in the background. Guzmán called his brother Archivaldo Iván Guzmán Salazar on his cellphone and told him to stop the chaos.

Archivaldo refused and shouted threats against the soldiers and their families. The attacks continued and eight minutes later the first wounded soldiers were reported. Archivaldo Guzmán surely knew at that point that the cartel had the upper hand. Thirteen people were killed in gun battles around the city.

Officials in Mexico City ultimately ordered security forces to withdraw four hours after the operation began to avoid more bloodshed.

Related Post

Leave a Comment